Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. Protesting Shiites members agitating against the continuous incarceration of their leader, Sheik Al-Zacky Zacky, on Tuesday clashed with the Nigeria military, resulting in the death of one person, DAILY POST reports.
The protesters, who were in large numbers were heading towards the National Assembly at about 1.15pm but were intercepted by the military personnel already waiting at the gate.
2. The Inspector General of Police (I-G), Mr Mohammed Adamu, on Tuesday ordered 24 hours surveillance on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and its environs to forestall break down of law and order.
A statement by DCP Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO) in Abuja said the I-G gave the order following a violent protest by members of the El-Zakzakky Group in Abuja.
3. The National Democratic Forum has in strong terms condemned the invasion of the National Assembly by members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shiites, on Tuesday.
NDF, through its Secretary General Dr Abdulakdir Bolaji, called on the authorities to immediately expel all known IMN members from Abuja.
4. The Nigerian Senate on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to ban the production, importation or circulation of snipers insecticide, a product currently being used to commit suicide.
This followed a motion sponsored by Sen. Theodore Orji (PDP-Abia) and 15 others on the rising incidence of suicides among Nigerians.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the accelerated promotion of two senior officers and a subaltern of the Nigerian Army. – Major General LO Adeosun, the Chief of Training and Operations at Army Headquarters who has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General and Brigadier General AB Biu, General Officer Commanding 7 Division and Commander Sector 2 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Maiduguri, promoted to the rank of Major General..
Army spokesman, Sagir Musa, on Tuesday, said the officers were granted promotion for their extra-ordinary feats, courage, examplary leadership, loyalty, uncommon commitment and valour in the counter insurgency operation in the North-eastern part of the country.
6.. The Oyo State House of Assembly on Tuesday approved the dissolution of the Local Government (LG) chairmen and chairmen of the Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in the state.
The approval of the dissolution of the council chairmen was sequel to a motion matter of urgent public importance brought to the floor of the house by its Majority leader, Hon. Sanjo Adedoyin.
7. House of Representatives Speaker, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila on Tuesday tongue-lashed a lawmaker from Benue state, Hon. Mark Terser Gbilah representing Gwer-East/Wager-West federal constituency over unsavory comments made in the media against him and others.
The verbal chastisement by the Speaker came on the heels of motion on a matter of privileges brought by Hon. Pat Asadu, who prayed the House to investigate an alleged breach of his privilege and those of his colleagues from Enugu and Ebonyi state by the Benue-born legislator.
8. The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday released time-table and schedule of activities for the conduct of the 2019 governorship primary elections in Kogi and Bayelsa States.
The party said the “Sale of Forms (APC National Secretariat)- Wednesday 10th July – Tuesday 20th August, 2019, while Last Day for Submission of Completed Forms (APC National Secretariat) – Wednesday 21st August, 2019.
9. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar on Tuesday continued their defence of petition against President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election with sets of witnesses singing discordant tunes.
Dr Livy Uzoukwu, SAN, Counsel for the petitioners commenced the activity of the day with the presentation of Alhaji Tanko Bichi, a Local Government Collation Agent for PDP in Katsina State for his testimonies.
10. The Super Eagles of Nigeria would today take on the Bafana Bafana of South Africa for a place in the semi-finals stage of the AFCON 2019.
Former Eagles star, Tijani Babangida has tipped the Gernot Rohr’s to glory against the Madiba countrymen.